Our Strategy team advises amongst the most senior public services leaders on strategic decisions and implementation. We strive to be known as the most effective strategic advisors on system problems, focusing on delivering exceptional work, at local and regional level that informs the national conversation and policy. Examples of our specialist work include multi-sector and agency strategic partnership development, organisational strategy, business case development, financial strategy, service optimisation, and much more.
Common across our portfolio is a need to solve complex strategic challenges through a robust analytical understanding of the challenge and solutions. This covers a range of topics including financial appraisal, cash flow modelling, financial recovery and planning, economic assessment, service user flows, population health needs, market sizing, contracting arrangements, and more.
We have delivered engagements of this type in health and life sciences, and in higher education. We consider this to be a significant area for strategic growth and are looking for specific expertise and experience to build our capability for delivering strategy work. We are always looking to improve our impact by innovating and using new approaches and tools.
Our Strategy business unit works alongside our Digital business unit and our Performance business unit with the three business units together giving a rounded offer that meets the needs of senior leaders in public services.
The Strategy business unit currently contributes approximately 50% of The PSC’s income and continues to experience robust growth. In response to this continued increase in demand for our expertise, we are looking for an Associate Partner to join the business unit to work with us on our most complex financial and analytical projects and strengthen our offer in this area.
This is an exciting role for an experienced consultant, ideally with some public sector expertise, who has a passion for strategic solutions based on robust analysis, and a desire to help our public services to make the best decisions they can. The Associate Partner will lead client projects and teams of consultants, working closely with the Partners to help The PSC achieve its growth ambitions over the next five years and beyond. The Associate Partner will report to the leadership team.
1) Leading the Delivery of Client Engagements
- Lead the delivery of strategy consulting engagements for a portfolio of clients, with a focus on finance and analytical projects. This will include managing executive and board level relationships, hands-on client work (as the lead practitioner/expert) and oversight of project teams.
- In the delivery of client work, review and synthesise large amounts of complex data to inform your strategy recommendations, applying your experience to make creative, practical, and thoughtful decisions that are in the best interests of the client, building on a robust analytical evidence base
- Provide strategic oversight, advice, and quality assurance to project teams on client financial and analytical engagements to ensure successful delivery. Mentor and support more inexperienced members of the team on client assignments, for example, helping: structure analytical problems through modelling; embed excel or other tool best practice; problem solving and empowering them to succeed. Experience of structuring and delivering analytical workstreams (e.g. cashflow models, NPV for complex propositions or appraisal) previously essential, although day to day modelling work will be delivered by your teams.
- Gain deep understanding of the challenges our clients are facing, establish “trusted advisor” relationships with client sponsors and senior leadership including at board level. Anticipate client needs and develop appropriate solutions, always ensuring that you are taking people with you.
- Contribute to client steering committees and project boards and act as the escalation point for any issues.
2) Developing Business
- Own multiple client account relationships, taking responsibility for ensuring the delivery of engagements and identifying opportunities for new work. Develop and regularly review account plans to build a strong sales pipeline of client work, introducing the range of services that The PSC can provide.
- Contribute to the acquisition of new clients by generating sales opportunities, scoping requirements, managing the proposal process and negotiating terms.
- Actively manage and develop a strong and highly effective network of personal contacts, by whom you are trusted, within the public services.
- Lead development of our strategic analytical and finance offering, taking responsibility for the strategic development of our finance orientated approaches, skills, resources and client pipeline.
3) Growing The PSC
- Contribute to the strategy and vision of the business unit and its offering by developing this offering and identifying actions required to keep The PSC competitive. Lead the development of others within The PSC team, training and mentoring consultants at all grades, sharing expertise and experience, and providing constructive feedback to colleagues.
- Contribute to maintaining and building the internal culture of The PSC, promoting our values and positively influencing colleagues.
- Initiate and lead projects to drive internal improvement of our offering and client support and be responsible for a range of initiatives that will help The PSC to grow and achieve its strategic priorities.
- Contribute to the recruitment process through referrals, interviewing candidates and making hiring recommendations.
- Previous experience in a consultancy at senior/executive level with responsibility for leading client engagements, managing client relationships and contributing to business development. This should include experience of pitches, proposals and contributing to bids.
- Experience of designing and leading analytical projects in the public sector (with a financial bias) and have the ability to drive insight in a broad range of situations, regardless of complexity. You will bring insights from across multiple engagements and organisations.
- Track record of delivery on complex system and/ or multi-organisation challenges.
- Some exposure to or experience of working for or with the public sector particularly in UK healthcare. A personal network in the sector would be beneficial, as would experience of contributing to marketing activity (external events, industry panels, thought leadership).
- Be able to manage a range of senior relationships that result in high impact work and growing a pipeline of business.
- Ability to develop and rigorously test hypotheses, identify problems, perform root cause analysis, and present solutions within complex systems and environments. Superb eye for detail.
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to coach teams in delivering analysis effectively – including leading projects that include analysis such as cash flow modelling, financial appraisal, activity.
- Expert influencer, able to help effect change in large and complex organisations. Seen as a leading practitioner in your area of expertise.
- Ability to build board level relationships and develop strategic partnerships within client organisations.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent client engagements and project teams on consulting engagements.
- Interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and the ability to engage directly with frontline teams
- Skilled manager and developer of effective and motivated teams.
- Alignment with our business mission: a strong desire to have a positive impact on public services and people’s lives.
- Alignment with our values: possess the intellectual curiosity to explore unexpected and innovative solutions and an openness to constructively challenging clients and colleagues. We value humility, kindness and always having the integrity to do what’s right in the service of our core value.
- Collaborative and thrives in a team setting.
- Self-motivated and driven, able to work independently and take accountability for projects. Can demonstrate an emotional intelligence that balances client service, solutions and supporting others.